Friday, June 17, 2016

Day 4 Gratitude

A practice in gratitude and acceptance: Finally feeling well enough to start back working out and running. On my first run in almost a year, my first reaction was of happiness to be outside among nature and the early morning atmosphere. Only to fall prey briefly to the overwhelming disappointment of having lost so much ability, so much hard work, so much ground. The starting back mantra of lamenting not being where I once was and knowing the work involved with getting back there. Ugh! This, for me, was fleeting and replaced with extreme gratitude for finally being back in a place my body would allow for such an activity! Grateful for the chance to work toward getting back to good health and a strong body. Sure, I could stay defeated, but to what purpose would that serve? I am capable of the fortitude to once again achieve my fitness goals and very humbled and joyful to once again have the opportunity to regain my health.

Gratitude is being thankful for what you do have. It is not head in the clouds (or the sand) and not looking at the whole of the situation. It is knowing the reality and being grateful for the good in the reality. The bad is enough without dwelling on it and drowning out the joy to be had for the good, the blessings, the rainbows. Without acknowledging the joy and being thankful for it, then misery is where you will reside!

No comments:

Post a Comment