Thursday, June 23, 2016

Day 10 Battle Scars

We all have external "scars" that reflect those deeper internal ones. I've been through the mindset in the past of trying to hide such scars (issues) as if there is some shame to having them. Sure they make me flawed, but I am flawed. Sure they make me less "airbrushed" acceptable, but everyone is. My scars tell the story of my life, and are my well-earned badges for overcoming struggles, or just of life lived. Surgery scars, accident scars, disease affliction, stretch marks, etc., all tell our stories.

For example, I have vitiligo, which is an autoimmune that has a visible element to it, in that it bleaches out my skin permanently in random patterns all over my body. When I was a child, I was always olive skinned tan year round. This wasn't from "tanning", but from old school playing outside constantly. My daughter takes after me in her outdoor preferences and tanned, freckled face appearance. For years after getting vitiligo, I purposely kept from getting tan, and therefore not outside as much as I would like, because the paler I stay, the less the vitiligo is noticeable. Silly! I love being outside, and I love the freckles I get when I'm outdoors and tan from activity. It reminds me of the good of my childhood. To stay away from something I love just to make a disease I have less obvious is no longer something I'm willing to do. Life is too short to hide anything about us, especially when we can find joy in the hard of it all. My vitiligo "scars" are part of where I've been. Tan or not, I have been through and overcome. I'm not hiding what my body has been through in my many battles and experiences. My "scars" are my badges earned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment