Friday, June 24, 2016

Day 11 Oversharing

Because of the household I grew up in, where we weren't allowed to share our truth (about us or anything going on with us in our household), I almost overshare because I can. In adulthood, it is very important to me to be who I am with everyone and not have the inside the house self vs what the outside world gets to see self, like how I grew up (typical of emotionally or physically abusive homes). In the past year, I've come to realize that me being opened about who I am, and my experiences, isn't oversharing. Why? Because there is a lot I don't say or share. Not because I'm hiding anything, but because my whole self is not something everyone gets to be a part of, or is entitled to. What I mean by this is not everyone is invited to your whole life/soul. You get to decide what parts of you to share and how many details for which you share with the world (people around you). You have your close circle for whom you know you can trust your whole self with, and for everyone outside that circle, their behavior dictates how and what you disclose. Not everyone is trustworthy or has your interest at heart, and no one is entitled to all your footnotes. It is an honor when we are invited in to someone's circle. That honor should be protected! Adherence to boundaries, functional appropriateness, and trust are the hallmarks for such an honor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment