Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Moment To Moment

I find myself more days than not rushing from one event, scheduled appointment, to-do, time with kiddos , etc. It is asked that if you are constantly rushing from moment to moment what happens to the moment you are are in? How can you ever "be in the moment" if you are rushing from one to the other?

Being busy seems to be a part of our every day existences anymore, but here's the thing: You need to enjoy the moments you're in regardless of how busy you find yourself! How? Well, I view each moment (event, to-do, appointment, chore, special time with loved ones, self time, etc.) as it's own "thing"... in other words, each moment, regardless of how packed the others around it are, is special and the only moment I'm considering, enjoying, fussing over. Living in the moment, taking stock of what it is regardless of what came before it or what comes after it.

An example, is one of my days last week: Up early and on little sleep, but not thinking about all the would have dones, could have dones, should have dones, of the previous day, only focused on the present days can dos, should dos, need to dos.  I sat down with a cup of coffee and began some desperately neglected desk work only to be interrupted by one of my children (the early riser) needing special "mommy time". I could have shooed him away and been stressed over the interruption, but instead stopped and focused solely on his need for my undivided time and attention. His need became my only priority and focus; and in doing so, I enjoyed a very special, once in a lifetime talk with my child. Once that need and moment was fulfilled, I returned to the urgency of my task at hand of desk work. By focusing my entire energy and thought in each moment, I am able to move through the have tos more efficiently, and enjoy the want tos or need tos completely. I worked until the very last second before rushing out the door to make some appointments with clients. Fretting a bit on being late for the first appointment, I stopped and realized that with this next "moment", I could reset, because once there, I would be in the moment I am supposed to be in for the time allotted, and that the rest of the day would flow from that reset place. With every hiccup throughout your day, realize that each following moment is a time to reset and focus...enjoy...be productive. Even the pauses in life should be a focal point, in those moments of pause.

1 comment:

  1. What a great example of looking for peace and purpose in the midst of overwhelming stress. We do really take on whatever our focus is don't we? Yes, today might be full of people screaming for help at work. I could focus on how impossible the tasks are, how unreasonable the people are, etc... but that would just lead to more stress. Or I could focus on how nice it is to be able to listen to my music while I work, or that the coffee is especially good today.

    ReplyDelete